Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Columbia vs. UC Davis

For my student teaching, I did my literary placement in a senior AVID class. I remember some of my students got into a discussion about their future colleges during tutorials. One of the female students mentioned that she got into Columbia, but then also added that she wasn’t going to go. I was surprised at her decision, so I asked her why she would turn down an Ivy League school like Columbia. She explained that her parents wouldn’t let her go because it was too far away from home. I was even more startled by this response and I brought it up to my mentor teacher after class. My MT also agreed that the student’s situation was unfortunate, but she also added that it was wise not to press the matter further because the student’s parents might possibly become upset with her.

A few questions went through my head as I pondered this student’s situation. How much, should I as an educator, get involved in a student’s personal issues matters? I can empathize with the parents not wanting to send their daughter to a distant school, but I also feel like it’s a tremendously wasted opportunity if they were to stop their daughter from attending Columbia. I’m also certain that the student wishes to go but cannot because of her parents. Should I at least attempt to mediate a conversation between the parents and the student, or is this matter none of my business?

I learned that a student’s personal life would very likely be one of several key issues I must deal with when I begin my teaching. Getting involved in my students’ lives is a big part of my job description and I’m gaining more experience in this area during my student teaching. However, I’m also starting to learn how to tread the fine line that separates what is appropriate and inappropriate for teacher involvement in a student’s personal life. It’s important to remember that the student has to answer to and obey their parents, and that my input as a teacher should always stay within the realms of academics.

No comments:

Post a Comment